Dolphin Insurance Boating Tips: Winterize Your Boat
Boats In Water Lay-Up:
- Close all through-hull valves and seacocks for storage afloat.
- Winterize your engine in strict accordance with the engine manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Clean the interior and exterior of your boat to prevent accumulation of odors and mildew. Open and clean the refrigerator and freezer.
- Prop open all interior doors and hatches for maximum ventilation. Remove cushions or store on edge.
- Check battery to make sure it is fully charged, clean terminals, add water if necessary and make sure charging system is working.
- Check bilge pumps to ensure they work and that float switches properly activate the pumps and that they are not hindered by debris.
- Draw the fresh water tank(s), and run the domestic water system dry. Draw and flush the head holding tank.
- Top off fuel tank(s), to prevent condensation contamination.
- Use CSA or U.L. approved space heaters only-do not use household type heaters. Use only grounded, exterior type extension cords of at least 14-gauge wire.
- Do not leave vessel’s heating systems operating while unattended.
Boats in Dry Storage Lay-Up:
- Support boat with bow, slightly raised for drainage.
- Leave through-hull valves and seacocks open. Remove double bottom, hull, and transom drain plugs.
- Make sure boat covers will drain, are secured against high winds, and provide for positive ventilation.